This hotel is located in the municipality of Aldea del Obispo (Salamanca) and more specifically on the so-called hill of Gardón, a few meters from the river Turrones, between Spain and Portugal. It was built during the Restoration Portuguese War and rebuilt decades later. It was bombed during the Peninsular War and abandoned until its partial restoration at the beginning of the 21st century.
This is an authentic remain of the Napoleonic history transformed in the original hotel which is nowadays.
Ciudad Rodrigo is a very important place in the Penisnular War because it suffered not one but two sieges: in 1810 and in 1812
The Parador of this town not only does it stand out for being one of the oldest in the National Network of Paradors, but also because in its Salón Alcázar, Wellington signed the capitulation of the French troops in the aforementioned year of 1812.
A true royal palace, it is considered since 1917 as one of the most beautiful, romantic and historical hotels all over the world.
The city was witness of the battle of Bussaco, where the General Wellington defeated the emperor Napoleon’s troops. In fact, in the hotel enclosure there is also a convent where Wellington installed his headquarter at that time. Moreover, he slept the night after the battle in one of the cells of the convent.
Napoleon spent the night at this place during the time he was in Spain fighting in the Peninsular War.
Nowadays the castle has been declared National Monument, it is refurbished and it is located in the enclosure of Benavente’s Parador Nacional.
Most of the palace was destroyed by the French troops at the Peninsular War. In fact, only the beautiful and original tower – built in a mixture of the gothic and renaissance styles at the beginning of the 16th century and belonged to the House Pimentel – survived the attack.